Thursday, October 21, 2010

The Oxford Trial: Day 3

Today's categories were:
  • Different Environments to Live in
  • The house/yard
  • The kitchen
  • The Dining Room
  • The Living room
  • The bathroom
  • A Bedroom
  • A kid's bedroom
  • Housework
  • Cleaning Supplies
  • Household Problems/Repairs

Today's vocab was really hard to get through. All in all I wrote down about 250 definitions.

The amusing word of the day is:

Hutch (noun): A cupboard usually surmounted by open shelves.

No Português, é significa: o guarda-louça. This literally translates to the protector or guardian of the dishes. When I first read this, I imagined a stoic, armor-clad warrior with biceps the size of my dog standing in front of some china. I'm going crazy, aren't I?

Also, today's vocabulary was difficult because I was to deeply involved with "The Shack"(A Cavana, no Portguês). The book started off with a rather depressing aura, orbiting around Mack, a father whose daughter was murdered. In the years following, he is haunted by a great fog of guilt (referred to as the Great Sadness).

Mack was never religious, but after the murder, he began to question if God was really out there. Almost on cue, Mack receives a note in the mail from "Papa" (god), inviting him back to the shack where his daughter was murdered. Even though he's going there expecting the unexpected, nothing can prepare him for what he sees and learns there.

In short, this book confronts a big question: "Where is God in a world filled with such unspeakable pain?" It's filled with a lot of incredible ideas and I'm enjoying every second of it. Read it if you can; it's incredible.

That's it for now. Kind of a boring day I guess.

1 comment: