Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Oxford Trial: Day 1

So today I read 16 pages out of the dictionary. Todays categories covered:
  • Calendar events
  • Sweaters (to learn the colors)
  • Shopping/money
  • Family gatherings
  • Going to get a haircut
  • Describing someone
  • Childcare and Parenting (my personal favorite)
If not after school, I'll add these words during school between class periods. Between Physics and Chemistry, I was working on the parented section. This happens to outline - in illustrated detail - dressing, diaper changing, baby food, etc etc. Some of my Brazilian schoolmates saw me writing all these words down hastily, some questions and perplexed looks arose. They laughed after I explained and they realized I was not a teenage parent.

Anyway, after today's session, I added 7 pages to my vocabulary list.

Oh! News regarding tomorrow!

Before arriving, each student is assigned a rotary counselor. This counselor is someone you can email for questions about the school, paperwork or just about anything else.

Anyways, tomorrow I'm going to meet with my rotary counselor for the first time in 10 weeks (exactly 10 weeks from today). I'm really excited about it. Hopefully I can get my spending money now :)

That's it for now. More trial results later.




2 comments:

  1. Wow! I found that when I was teaching new concepts to the scouts, I rewarded a correct answer with a toss of a pretzel nugget into an eager mouth or hand. Maybe your host parents can toss something like an acai every time you have a correct answer. Just be sure to catch it the first time - acai stains!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking Pão de Queijo actually, but both work :)

    ReplyDelete