Thursday, October 14, 2010

Bowling > Afternoon Classes

Do you remember those field trips schools have that are "educational", but really just an excuse to do something awesome? Well, instead of afternoon classes today, I had one of those.

I left for Catuaí (the shopping mall in Londrina) around 3:00 to go bowling. And just in case anyone's asking, yes it was physics related....sort of. We had a worksheet, so it was official.

Anyway, no one on my team really bowled that much, but knew they'd be okay because they had an American on their team...right? Wrong.

Fernanda, one of my friends from school told me she wasn't too excited about going bowling today because she didn't play that well. She scored over 50. I scored 32.

Whatever bowling prowess I collected field trips and birthday parties past is foreign to me. As of now, I am terrible at bowling. I found that out today.

Despite that though, I had an awesome time.

After the game, and while I waited for my ride home, I went into a bookstore called Livraria Curitiba. Yes Mom and Dad, you read correctly.

Anyway, I went through their "No Ingles" (Ironically translates to "In English"), and picked up two books I've always wanted to read: Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini and The Shack, by William Paul Young. They price on the back of each book was $15, or about R$25, so I figured to paperback books for R$50 wasn't a bad deal. That was, until I found out about tax.

In Brasil a hefty tax surrounds most imported products, especially from the United States. Everything from clothes to cars is very heavily taxed (Cars are taxed 140%). I ended up paying R$105 for the two books; about $63. From now on, I read ebooks and pdfs.

Embarrassment aside, good day overall.

Photos can be found here:







1 comment:

  1. Hey Chris, bowling looked like fun and very 'educational'. By the way, I looked at your group photo and your fly was down.....haha made you look!

    ReplyDelete