Thursday, November 11, 2010

Elizabeth VII Video Awards: The Event of the Century

There was quite the spectacle at the Rolândia country club tonight.

The hard-working students of Colegio Bom Jesus, a local high school, submitted music videos into an epic clash of artistic wits: The Elizabeth VII Video Awards. My english teacher, Marluce, invited me to be a judge in the contest.

To be completely honest, at first I didn't expect much. After all, at Staples High School (outside of Westport Youth Film Festival - or WYFF - to my knowledge), people never took these school videos that seriously. When I imagined the scene at first, I thought of when I made a class video for my AP Environmental class. Most of the composition consisted of joking and last minute scrambling. The final product was alright, but I tend to use that term loosely.

I couldn't have been more wrong in this case.

I go to the country club often to play tennis, and often walk by this common room. When I played tennis yesterday, the room was completely empty while the walls were painted with an exquisitely dull decaying beige. Tonight however, it had undergone a complete transformation.

The scene mirrored that of an !E channel movie premier. The spectacle had filmed interviews with the actors/actresses and visitors, a red carpet, a judges panel, a live DJ among countless other accessories. The atmosphere was utterly electric; nothing like I've ever seen.

When the show was getting underway, the other judges and I moseyed our way upstairs to the judges table. As I sat down and organized my ballots, I was served a bottle of water and a box of peach juice. Bottled water and ballpoint pen in tow, I felt ridiculously important. André of course, sat with me in the Judge's section.

Not only was the scene itself brilliant, but every one of the films were spectacular. The video editing and special effects were incredible and in my opinion, they rivaled the original music videos in quality. I was completely blown away.

The applause waning and the votes cast, my deed was done. I left the event feeling completely full. Every aspect of the event was magical.

Too bad I forgot my camera :(

I'm going to start to bring it with me everywhere. I'm determined to get blogworthy photos in the future for you guys.

Então, é tarde aqui, e estou com sono. Vou escrever mais amanhã ou mais tarde.

Tchau gente!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see those photos :) Maybe you can put in a link to the actual contestants! Also, now that you are a judge, please remember me when you get too famous for regular parents.

    ReplyDelete