Saturday, November 20, 2010

2.2C: The End of a Dynasty.


Friday was my last day of school at Colegio Marista in Londrina, Brasil.

I started there only a couple days after I arrived, when I spoke virtually nothing outside of "Oi" and "Tudo bem". My memories of my first day are clear: I was ushered into class by the Principal of the school, in the middle of class. I stood in front of over thirty kids silently and awkwardly while she made a brief speech, telling all the kids not to embarrass the school or Brazil. As they laughed, I sat down in front of Fernanda Torres, one of the few students in the class who speaks English well.

Fernanda (Fer) helped me with a lot, though she may not have known it. Though many people were interested in me at first because I was new, she was one of my few real friends at Marista. Though I had a basic idea of what their school was like, there were a lot of things things that I never would have known about had it not been for Fer. Whenever I needed help or guidance with something we were doing in or outside of class, she was always happy to explain. When I didn't know anyone in the class, she was always happy to introduce me to her friends. Had it not been for her, I'd always mix up the words Saudades and Saude and say negrão instead of Nagao.

Marista holds a lot of memories, both hilarious and embarrassing. There though, my language skills really skyrocketed. I started from basically nothing; I had had difficulties with everything from asking to borrow a pen, to trying to buy a can of mango juice. By the time I left, I was able to talk to almost everyone and understand about 50-60% of what everyone was saying. Considering that, I'm really proud but most of all, I'm grateful.

My experience at Colegio Marista is one that I'll never forget and carry with me for the rest of my life.

Obrigado Fer, e obrigado 2.2C. Vocês me deram um lembrança que vou levar com mim sempre.



Other photos:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2050558&id=1088161372&l=5dd44a546d



No comments:

Post a Comment