Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Northeast Trip 2011 + Family #2

Hello again followers! I realize it's been a while, but I've been out doing all kinds of things over the past several weeks, and I'm just now getting a chance to post. I hope you all had a wonderful holiday/New Year!

In my Rotary district, I heard a lot of stories with mixed emotions about host families. I heard that while some students had amazing experiences with their host parents, some also had some difficulties. One of my friends from Germany told me about when she came to America, she had dreamed of being able to see at least some of the wonders that America has to offer. New York City, Boston and Washington DC were just some of the ones I remembered specifically.

Sometimes though, things can turn out differently than you'd expect. I spoke with her again after 6 months and asked her how things were going. She told me that after all this time, she had not had one opportunity to go to any of these places. She seldom even traveled outside of the city!

After hearing this, I couldn't help but think what my first host family would be like. I was concerned that I might not have opportunities to travel or explore what my city would offer. I was concerned that, like my friend, I might not have the best experience.

That fear was utterly razed the day I met Henrique Berger. From that moment to right now, he has been an ideal host Father, filled with charisma, care and a formidable sense of humor. I instantly bonded with their family and became instantly comfortable staying with them. He and the family have provided me with tons of opportunities to do everything from travel to the beach, to stay on a farm. I owe a lot of my incredible Brazilian experience thus far to him and the Bergers. In short, I couldn't have possibly been happier with any other family.

The next two days mark two big things in my career as an exchange student. One is hugely positive, while the other is rather negative.

Tomorrow marks the beginning of the World Renowned: Northeast Trip. Every Rotary exchange student who's been to Brazil knows all about this baby. In short, it's a month long voyage of the Northeastern region of Brazil, with some stops along the way. Tomorrow at 8:30 me and my friends will hop on a bus in Londrina all the way up to São Paulo. From then on, the awesomeness is non-stop. We'll be driving all around the country stopping in all sorts of places: Rio de Janeiro, Recife and Fortaleza are just some of the many.

So after much effort, my travel bag is finally packed completely (YES). I am proud to say that I am completely ready to go tomorrow. I beyond excited and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to sleep tonight. I'm practically counting down the minutes.

Though today marks a great victory - as my bag is finally packed - it also marks something a little depressing. After almost 5 months here, I'll be switching families. I've bonded heavily with the Bergers and I'll definitely notice the void in my bedroom without André by my side.

That aside, I'm going to make the best of what's ahead. If being abroad has taught me anything thus far, it's that you have to seize every opportunity presented to you, despite initial doubt or fear. I have done all kinds of things here that I never would have imagined myself doing and now that only more await. So though family #2 will be different, whatever unique opportunities present themselves should prepare themselves; I'm coming for them.

Internet access will be sporadic over the next month, so I can't guarantee any blog posts for a while. I'll be keeping a journal with me so that when I get back, I should be able to write at least one or two posts about the trip.

Stay faithful followers! I'm still here!





1 comment:

  1. I am also so thankful that the Berger family made you feel so welcome. I know you will have a great time on your trip and another satisfying experience with your next host family, because you look for the positive in everything. Take lots of photos and I can't wait to read the next exciting chapter in your adventure story in Brazil

    ReplyDelete